Can someone please tell me why it’s so hard to get LSP merch in size fat and why the overwhelming majority of anthro fan art makes her a skinny girl.
Tired of this shit.
A British tourist is “shocked and upset” after being deported from Sri Lanka for displaying a Buddha tattoo on his arm, he says.
Antony Ratcliffe, 42, from Nottingham, was turned back at Colombo’s main airport on Friday for allegedly showing a lack of respect for Buddhism.
The authorities are tough on perceived insults to Buddhism - the religion of the island’s majority ethnic Sinhalese.
But Mr Ratcliffe says the “inoffensive” body art was meant as a tribute.
“They took my passport and held me there for an hour and a half. All the time they were bringing people in to look at my arm, and they were shaking their heads.
“I was explaining my case, pleading basically, and the chief officer just told me to ‘shut up, shut up’ and he refused to talk to me.”
“I like the artwork in tattoos obviously and, due to my belief in Buddhist philosophy which I have followed for many years, I thought a quality tattoo of the Buddha was rather apt.
“It wasn’t something I took lightly or did on the spur of the moment.”
Eventually, Mr Ratcliffe was allowed to continue his journey to Kuala Lumpur, but faced further questioning when he landed.
“The whole experience has been a shock - it has been upsetting and a waste of my time. I’m not taking it further, but when I saw they had accused me of speaking disrespectfully about Buddhism, I had to put my side of the story”, he said.
‘i mean, i still don’t really give a shit whether or not they were offended by my imperialist tattoo, i just can’t decide if i’m more insulted that they wouldn’t let me into their country to ‘appreciate’ the rest of their heritage, or that they think they can tell me what i don’t know about buddhism’.
fucks sake, man. #whitegirlsinheaddresses
what’s this i hear?
a country of color not taking any shit from a white person who disrespects their cultural and religious heritage?
cue that gif of oprah going “you mad?!”
fuck your white bullshit
Yes Sri Lanka!
Yessssss I love it
Did you guys read the article?
There are white Buddhists (shocking, I know). He got it in another Buddhist nation. Like every tattoo, there was a story behind it, and his was to tribute to a Buddha.
It’s pretty telling alone that he didn’t get Laughing Buddha, the one most used for parodies and most widely known in white cultures.
But hey, maybe he’s just disrespecting an entire culture.
I fucking hate this. Not everything I do (as a white girl born in the USA or European decent) is disrespecting your culture. Asking you to explain things or spell your name is not stupidity or ignorance - it’s a genuine curiosity about who you are and where you come from. If I decide to tattoo a religious symbol of your culture or dress in clothes inspired by your culture, I’m not ‘appropriating’ your culture for ‘white girl’ purposes. Maybe I believe in the message behind them. Maybe I just think they’re pretty.
You can wear jeans and printed tees, why can’t I wear a sari? If I respect and connect spiritually with Japanese traditional wedding practices, why can’t I use them?
Stop assuming that because I’m a privileged white girl, I don’t respect your culture and beliefs. THAT belief makes YOU ignorant.
Here’s a bucket
I want you to cry your delicious white tears into it
I’m running low and I’ve got shipments to ship and sales to make.
Hurry up I don’t have all day!
All I heard was “But why can’t I take your shit! I’m entitled to take your shit if I want it and like it because I’m meeeeee!”
White people need to shut up today.
[trigger warning: abuse, street harassment, sexual assault, rape, domestic violence, misogyny, misogynoir, racism, sexism, classism]
This essay list includes some of my writing (except one guest post, as marked) on some of the most difficult abuse topics* and may be difficult for some of you to read depending on what your experiences/perspectives are. However, it’s important for these conversations to be had. Thus, I gathered this list. Just take care/time to read them if you do; don’t read them all on one day etc.
- A Black Woman’s Life Is Also A Valuable Life To Save
- Domestic Violence Awareness Month: Black and Native American Women (guest essay by Lauren Chief Elk)
- Black Women and Domestic Violence (Awareness Month)
- A Core Problem That Black Women Face In Regards To Domestic Violence
- Race, Gender and Violence
Sexual assault/rape/rape culture:
- Scandal: The Sexual Assault Scene Was TERRIBLE**
- Black Men’s Abuse of Black Women and A Call For Radical Love (Or At Least A Truce)
- It’s Not “Racist” For Black Women To Discuss Black Men and Rape
- You’re A Blithering Misogynist…and UOENO
- Rape “Prevention” Advice That Doesn’t Include Tips For Men’s Behavior = Rape Culture
- It’s Not Just “Mean” People Who Proliferate Rape Culture
- Serena Williams’ Comments Hurt Me But Don’t Surprise Me; And That Hurts Even More
- Why The Rape Joke Conversation Remains A White Conversation
- Understanding Rape Culture
- 6 Derailment Tactics Used To Silence Criticism of Hip Hop/Rap
- Critiquing Hip-Hop/Rap Music - When The Call For Nuance Is A Call For Silence
- A Silencing Tactic Used Against Black Women Who Speak Out Against Rape Culture
- I Don’t Have To Know You To Care
Dehumanization of Black women and our culture/bodies:
- On The Goddamn Lily Allen Video and The DEMAND For An Opinion On It
- Black Women Do Not Need Black Men’s Permission To Control Our Hair/Bodies
- Miley Cyrus Is Flattered When She Is Critiqued For White Appropriation/Consumption of Black Culture
- Black Women Were Lynched Too
- The Predictable Cycle of White Liberal “Humor” At Black Women’s Expense
- I Don’t Want “Advice” On My Body From Men
- White Women’s Racist Responses To Black Women’s Natural Hair
- Black Women and Twerking: Why Its Creators Face Bigotry That Miley Cyrus Never Will
- My TV Is Worth More Than I Am?
- Nope. You Still Can’t Touch Me. Gender Irrelevant.
- F*CK Nude And Flesh-Toned
- Reproductive Freedom Has Always Been An Economic Issue
- Black Women and Erasure
- Black Bodies: Objects For White Profit, Power and Pleasure
(My essay list on Beauty Politics also discusses dehumanization and Black women’s bodies.)
- Things Street Harassing Black Men Actually Have Said To Me…
- Street Harassment and Post Traumatic Stress Disorder
- On Street Harassment: The Incident Count
- Why Some Black People Don’t Want Me To Discuss Street Harassment
- I Don’t Discuss Street Harassment As A Leeway To Dating Advice For Men
- Street Harassment: Fear On Both Sides of The Street
- 10 Common Ignorant Replies Made To Women Who Discuss Experiencing Street Harassment
- Ring Shopping and Street Harassment
- Men Standing Up Against Street Harassment? Good. Men Not Engaging In Street Harassment In The First Place? Better.
- When Men Who Engage In Street Harassment Are Police Officers
- NOT Interested In ANY “Pick-Up” Lines. At All.
- Escape Artist: The Toll That Being On The Run From Street Harassment Takes
- Why Street Harassment Isn’t Really About Smiling Anyway
- I Don’t Want “Advice” On My Body From Men
- I Hate Nightclubs (They Feel Like Street Harassment To Music)
- When The Target Of Street Harassment Is Age 12-17
- The Beauty Binary, Street Harassment and Rape Culture
- Race, Gender and Emotional Policing
- Introvert Seating Assignments
- On Being A Black Female Engineering Student: Street Harassment and Microaggressions At School
- Street Harassment and Repeat Harassers
- Men Who Use Music As A Weapon During Street Harassment
- Street Harassment Reduction: The Gear
- Another Way To Explain Street Harassment
- A quote relating to street harassment, by Opal Palmer Adisa + my short essay
- What Ignorance Looks Like…
- Street Harassment…Local Edition
- Street Harassment “Prevention” Shouldn’t Have To Exist
- Different…And The Same: Thoughts About Moving “Away” From Street Harassment
- His View: Flirting | My View: Street Harassment
- That Awkward Moment When A 4 Year Old Boy Attempts Street Harassment
- I Had To Curse A Man Out….
- For Men Who Engage In Street Harassment While On The Clock
- I LOVE When I Am Not Bothered In Public
- 6 Common Derailment Tactics Used In Conversations About Street Harassment and Sexual Assault
- Me. Black Men. Street Harassment. White Audience.
- Street Harassment Observations
Quotes on the above-referenced topics, with my notes:
- Oprah dehumanized by White female artist [X]
- "nice" Black men who won’t defend Black women [X]
- Whites’ eat pray love syndrome [X]
- the dog and the mule [X]
- the White Gaze [X]
* I’m a Black woman and a womanist writing from an intersectional perspective on a lot of abuse that occurs intraracially. This is not license for White feminists to plagiarize or co-opt my experiences in an effort to be racist towards Black men and portray them as the “only” misogynoirists and misogynists in the world and themselves as the only victims/survivors. White women are also complicit in the oppression of Black women.
** I am a fan of Scandal but this essay list is NOT the place to voice your hate or even your love of Scandal. I included this particular essay because the topic is very specific to sexual assault. Please leave Scandal-related comments on Scandal posts themselves.
reblogging for future reading.
I just wish Planned Parenthood would do MORE to prevent pregnancy & LESS to end pregnancy
3% of Planned Parenthood’s services include abortion, while contraceptive services take up 32%. [x]
So, uh, they kinda do.
Advice for people thinking of posting something mildly political on facebook before getting on with their day: Don’t. Your day will go out the window.
STOP SCROLLING AND READ THIS!
I NEEDED TO REMIND YOU THAT YOU ARE DOING THE BEST YOU CAN.
YOU ARE STILL HERE AND BREATHING. YOU’RE STILL FIGHTING AND YOU ARE WINNING.
YOU ARE A BEAUTIFUL PERSON AND I KNOW YOU WILL GET THROUGH YOUR BAD DAYS.
KEEP GOING…YOU’RE DOING GREAT!
I’m so proud of you.